Tuesday, June 29, 2010

ABC Wednesday: X is for xylography and xanthous


Really?  The challenge of X sent me running to the dictionary.  I confess that I didn't know these words until I ran through the short X list.  But never let ignorance stop you from giving it the old college try.  Hence:
The xanthoutic light bathes the columns that mark the entrance to The Morcom Rose Garden.  The garden is tucked away in a quiet neighborhood off a busy street.  Many Oaklanders don't know it exists.

 The sign that marks its entrance is a simple example of xylography

This garden opened in 1932 and now features 6,000 plants throughout its eight acres.  It also includes terraces, a cascade fountain and a reflecting pool.  It is a popular venue for weddings.  With all the budget cuts, the city relies on the Friends of the garden to help maintain it.

How'd I do?  For more "X" photos from around the world, go to ABC Wednesday.  You'll find lots of entertaining takes on this week's letter.

11 comments:

  1. Perfect choices for the letter X. I lived across the Bay for my entire life and never heard of that rose garden either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative use of X! Funny because I had to refer to my thesaures to find a "V" word a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure why exactly but these columns look edible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did good. And a lovely xanthous rose at the end as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A magnificent place for the rose garden!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you did fabulous! a great X word!
    I'd love to visit that rose garden. It sounds superb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you did a great job!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever rendition of "X", Carolyn!
    You are right about that rose garden not being known by most Oaklanders. It's another of Oakland's hidden gems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't be ashamed of using the dictionary - we all do. Very often UI have the photos and combine the dictionary with a bit of lateral thinking.

    This one was pure pleasure to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a fine job! I love the columns most of all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a nice little find. I discover new places in my area I didn't know existed from time to time.

    ReplyDelete