Friday, October 8, 2010

willing to be educated

This pair is found on the Oakland campus of the California College of the Arts.  CCA (formerly known as CCAC--California College of Arts and Crafts) is a nationally known and respected art college that offers both undergraduate and graduate programs.  It was founded in 1907 and sits on 4 wooded acres above the quarry lake featured a couple of months ago.  CAC anchors one end of College Avenue with the entrance to the UC campus at the other end.  Tried to find out some information about these sculptures but came up empty-handed.  Frankly, I don't get it/them, which probably represents a serious gap in my education.  I have faith that someone in the blogosphere will enlighten me.

7 comments:

  1. Not me, I'm afraid! I share your bewilderment, but they do seem to fit with the luxuriant foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have a look like a marriage between Polynesian Tiki gods and the totems of the Northwest Pacific US. Very neat, and I agree that they seem very much at home among the foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's easy...
    They are sculptures of «Louis'» former father-in-law...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very curious indeed. There's some symbology here I'm not sure I want to know.

    ReplyDelete