Tuesday, January 10, 2012

chapel of the chimes

The Chapel of the Chimes is situated directly outside the gates of Mt. View Cemetery.  It was designed by Julia Morgan who is most well-known as the architect of Hearst Castle in San Simeon.  Later Aaron Green, a student of Frank Lloyd Wright, made sympathetic additions to the Morgan building.  This building is primarily a columbarium but also offers other modes of "end of life services."  The building is kind of a warren filled with stairwells, interior gardens, fountains, and stained glass ceilings.  Besides funeral services, monthly Jazz concerts and various literary events also occur here.

Did you know that in the funeral business the most expensive niches are those at eye level?  And the least expensive are those near the floor and ceiling?  Here's a tip I was given:  Never buy the cremation urn before you buy the niche, otherwise it may not fit.  Good to know.  For more cemetery musings from around the world, visit Taphophile Tragics, a new meme from Sydney Eye.

16 comments:

  1. Wow - this looks pretty fancy!
    I had to google "columbarium" - I didn't know what it meant.
    I also followed your link to the Chapel of the Chimes and found out what a cremation ark is.
    Learning new stuff every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I'm learning stuff here, too. Amazing how every industry has its own terminology. What a strange narrow staircase in this chapel! And I don't see the same "grandeur" here as in the Hearst Castle (not a favorite building of mine). Almost can't fathom Julia Morgan and Aaron Green (if he does FLW-style architectural design) working on the same building complex.

    [Thanks for linking my mural.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of a columbarium either. This is a rather elegant way to rest. Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too had to Google columbarium, how fascinating, It almost looks like a library of the deceased. Very interesting post Oakland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Golly, I HAD heard the term 'columbarium' - there is one down where my father's ashes will be placed in just a few weeks. I will work up a post about it. It is very particular.

    I quite like the design of this entrance way: very narrow with all the arches enticing one to continue stepping up and up. Suits the purpose to my way of thinking. I do not know the architects, save FLW. I agree with Grace, that it gives the appearance of a 'library' of deceased. I guess that is what many cemeteries are, or become. A library for those of us who identify as taphophiles.

    Thanks for continuing to support Taphophile Tragics. I value your support and the variety of the information in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that but it makes sense..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very informative, never knew buildings like this existed... looks like a safe and quaint place to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is quite a place. And, like the others, I learned a lot. The idea that the best real estate is at eye level is common in other venues, like grocery stores.

    I am starting to think that I need to post a cemetery photo before I get left out of the club . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a truly gorgeous building. Learned a lot today, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's some good advice along with a really good photo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Words to live by! About the urn and its placement, that is!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a beautiful picture. This building is a treasure trove of lovely sites. I hope you'll photograph it (and post about it) many more times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a beautiful picture. This building is a treasure trove of lovely sites. I hope you'll photograph it (and post about it) many more times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just like supermarket shelf psychology...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the look of this place. Would be a nice place to rest.

    ReplyDelete